IAM&AW Local Lodge 847

Serving the Active, Laid-Off, and Retired Members of LL 847

Facility

gdots

Pictured is an aerial view of General Dynamics O.T.S. Scranton


Originally constructed in 1910 as a steam locomotive erecting and repair facility for the Delaware Lackawanna & Western Railroad, the Scranton Army Ammunition Plant (SCAAP) was acquired by the Army in 1951 and converted to produce metal parts for the Korean War.¬
The original operating contractor was US Hoffman Machinery Corporation who operated the facility from 1953 until 1963 when Chamberlain Manufacturing Corporation (CMC) took over. In 2006 the current operating contractor General Dynamics Ordnance and Tactical Systems assumed operating responsibilities.
Because the main production buildings remain largely unaltered, the installation is on the National Register of Historic Places as part of the Steamtown Historic District.

IAM&AW Local Lodge 847 © 2017